Are you looking for the key statistics of one of the biggest social media platforms, that is Facebook? If yes, you have landed at the right place as besides Facebook monthly active users you will find FB revenue, stats, and other key statistics here.
Well, Facebook has been immensely popular over the years and it is just growing both from the audience part and also as a company. It became such a social media giant that any social media that gains popularity becomes part of Facebook, for example, WhatsApp and Instagram.
Facebook is widely known to everyone from all parts of the world. It does not require any introduction but still, there is some information about this platform that you may be unaware of. So, let’s take a short overview of Facebook in the next section.
- Facebook Statistics 2022 – 2023: Quick Summary
- Facebook Overview
- Facebook Platform Vs Facebook Family
- Facebook Users
- Facebook Revenue
- Facebook Profit
- Facebook Demographics
- FAQs: Facebook Monthly Active Users
- Conclusion: Facebook Monthly Active Users
Facebook Statistics 2022 – 2023: Quick Summary
If you are in a hurry you can read this quick summary of the article to know all the data at a glance.
- Facebook has 2.94 billion monthly active users as of March 31, 2022.
- It has 1.96 billion daily active users in the first quarter of 2022.
- India has the highest number of Facebook users (329 million).
- Facebook crossed the revenue of $100 billion for the first time in 2021.
- 56% of users are male and the 25 to 34 age group people are highest on Facebook.
- 81.8% of people run Facebook only through mobile.
Facebook is an American social media platform that allows you to share pictures, videos, and posts about your business or personal life for free. It is owned by Meta Platforms and it was founded in 2004 by CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his fellow Harvard students.
Facebook has changed its name to Meta recently. But one thing to keep in mind is that Facebook as a social media platform has still the same name ‘Facebook’. Instead, the name of the parent company ‘Facebook’ has been rebranded to ‘Meta’.
Initially, the platform was designed just for the sake of entertainment. But now it has advanced so much that many businesses are run thoroughly by Facebook alone in addition to this it has become a livelihood to many.
Facebook Platform Vs Facebook Family
Many people have got confused about the statistics of the Facebook platform and its family. The Facebook family includes all the apps that are owned by the company Meta (earlier Facebook) like Instagram, WhatsApp, etc. while the Facebook platform is a separate social media.
This article is focused on the statistics of Facebook as a platform only. Although we have mentioned the summarized statistics of the Facebook family also in this article.
Facebook (Meta) releases its annual and quarterly reports where the following two terms are used which may confuse you. So, it is necessary to know them.
- Daily/Monthly active users: Whenever the word ‘user’ is mentioned in any statistics then consider it for Facebook and Messenger only.
- Daily/Monthly active people: Whenever the word ‘people’ is mentioned in any statistics then consider it for the Facebook family (all apps owned by Meta company) which includes Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram. These metrics are collectively known as family metrics.
Now let us know the usage statistics of Facebook over the recent years. The below-mentioned information is the most updated.
Facebook is a continuously growing community and the number of users when compared to previous years is significantly increasing even after Facebook aggressively started the campaign of deleting millions of Fake accounts.
Facebook Monthly Active Users (MAUs)
MAUs meaning: Facebook defines a monthly active user as a registered and logged-in Facebook user who visited Facebook through the website or app, or used the Messenger application (and is also a registered Facebook user), in the last 30 days as of the date of measurement.
We have divided the statistics of MAUs into two parts, the annual and the quarterly average MAUs.
Facebook Quarterly MAUs
Besides annual reports, Facebook releases its statistics and earning reports every three months. MAUs of quarterly reports are the average of monthly active users for the last three months.
The total number of monthly active users at the end first quarter of 2022 (March 31st 2022) was 2.94 billion, an increase of 3% from the last year in the same period (March 31st 2021).
Facebook Monthly Active Users MAUs)
Annual reports are released at the end of the year, so it is obvious that the annual report for 2022 is not available as the year is not over. That is why this data covers the annual Facebook monthly active users (average of monthly active users of all months in a year) till the year 2021.
As of 31st December 2021, Facebook had 2.91 billion MAUs which was the 4% higher when compared to the previous year 2020 at the same time gap.
In 2023 as well, we will keep the expected growth rate target of about 4% for Facebook user base.
Facebook Daily Active Users (DAUs)
DAUs meaning: Facebook defines a daily active user (DAU) as a registered and logged-in Facebook user who visited Facebook through the website or app, or used the Messenger application (and is also a registered Facebook user), at least once a day.
It is the average of daily active users (DAUs) for the last three months. The image below shows the number of daily active users from the 1st quarter of 2020 till the first (recent most) quarter of 2022.
The first quarter of 2022 had 1.96 billion daily active users on Facebook.
67% of the monthly active users browsed Facebook every day in the first quarter of 2022.
Within a span of one year from March 31, 2021, to March 31 2022, the number of daily active users grew by 4% which is from 1.88 billion to 1.96 billion users.
Countries With the Most Facebook Users
Now let us know which country has the greatest number of Facebook users and other country-wise Facebook data that are given below.
- India has the highest number of Facebook users in the world with over 329 million users it is the leading nation followed by the US (179.65 million) and Indonesia (129.85 million)
- Around 70% of adult Americans use Facebook.
- Around 80% of Canadians who are 15 plus use Facebook.
- The collective monthly active users of the US and Canada are 263 million.
- Europe has 418 million monthly active users.
See the quarterly breakdown of revenue in the image below. The dark grey boxes in the image indicate ad revenue and the very small visible portion of the light grey color indicates non-ad revenue.
- In the year 2022, Facebook earned a revenue of $27.90 billion till the end of the 1st quarter (March 31, 2022) which is 6.64% more than the previous year compared to the same date.
- The revenue of Facebook in the financial year ending on March 31, 2022, was $119.66 billion, a growth of 26.77% from the revenue of the last financial year.
- In the year 2021, Facebook crossed $100 billion in revenue for the first time and it generated $117.96 billion in revenue.
- Revenues for the years 2020, 2019, and 2018 were $85.96 billion, $70.69, and $55.83 billion respectively.
- Each year the highest revenue comes from the United States and Canada because of their bigger mobile advertising markets.
In the first quarter of 2022, till 31st March the net income of Facebook is $7.46 billion and thus decreasing by almost 21% from the previous year. Check the year-wise net income in the table below.
Till now 2021 was the most profitable year for Facebook.
Now let us see the demographics of Facebook based on age, gender, and device. These data help the marketers in setting their targeted audience and analyzing them to use for advertisements purpose.
Region and country-wise demographics have already been discussed in the upper section of this article.
Facebook Age & Gender Demographics
Facebook does not release any clear-cut reports on age and gender-based users but still from some extracted data we tried to give you closer values by considering various factors.
- The average age of Facebook users is 31.
- 56% of the total users are male and the rest are female.
- 25-34 age group users are 31% comprise the highest age group on Facebook. Out of which 18.4% are male and 12.6% are female.
- The second highest age group with 22.6% is constituted by users of age 18 to 24. Among them, 13.3% are male users and the rest 9.3% are female.
- 17.9% of users are between the age group of 35 to 44 with 10% male and 7.9% females in them.
- The only age group where females are more than the males is the 55 years plus group. A total of 12.1% of users lie in this group, with the majority of women being 6.3% and men being 5.8%.
Facebook Device Demographics
Facebook can be accessed by any device having a functional internet connection. As per the last revealed data, the following device usage statistics were revealed by Facebook.
- 98.5% of the total users use Facebook through mobile phones.
- 1.5% of users browse Facebook via laptop or desktop computer.
- The users that browse Facebook only through phones are 81.8%.
- 16.7% of users prefer both mobile and computers.
Facebook Family Of Apps Metrics
This will include the collective data of Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp and Messenger as already described at the starting of the article.
- Family daily active people (DAP) was 2.87 billion on average for March 2022, an increase of 6% year-over-year.
- Family monthly active people (MAP) was 3.64 billion as of March 31, 2022, an increase of 6% year-over-year.
- Instagram alone has more than 1.39 billion monthly active users.
- WhatsApp alone as a platform has 2.44 billion unique monthly active users in April 2022.
See more stats here:
- Minecraft Users, Revenue and Statistics (2023)
- Patreon Users, Statistics & Revenue Analysis: 2023
- Snapchat Active Users 2022: Accurate Monthly And Daily Stats
- Steam Users, Revenue 2022: Daily Monthly Active User Stats
- PUBG Vs FreeFire Vs Fortnite Users, Revenue & Stats In World
- Coinbase Users, Revenue & Other Top Statistics: 2022 – 2023
- Facebook Monthly Active Users, Revenue & Latest Statistics For 2022
FAQs: Facebook Monthly Active Users
1. How many people are active on Facebook monthly?
There are 2.94 billion monthly active users on Facebook worldwide.
2. Who are the biggest users of Facebook?
India has the highest number of users, 329 million on Facebook, followed by the USA and Indonesia.
3. How many employees does Facebook have?
As of March 31, 2022, 77,805 employees are working on Facebook (Meta).
4. How many Facebook profiles are fake?
A total of 16% of profiles are fake (5%) or duplicate (11%) on Facebook.
Conclusion: Facebook Monthly Active Users
The graph of Facebook monthly active users always remained up since 2010. All the above data has been rechecked and verified. For professional use, the data is updated till when the last time this article was updated so if you are reading it late reverify it once.
There are many more statistics that are not that important for general purposes. Hence we have not included them. If you want the statistics on any other factor, feel free to ask us in the comment section below.
About Author: Vishesh Gupta
Seasoned Professional with 15 years of experience in Sales and Marketing. Entrepreneur, Consultant and Blogger helping people earn through jobs and blogging. Experienced Hosting Reviewer who likes to collect detailed info about existing players and share it with my audience. Previously worked with leading Banks and Telecom Companies.
I completed my Masters in Management with specialization in Finance and Marketing.
Visit our Hosting Review and Blogging Guide for more interesting articles.